Friday 2 March 2018

Listening Task



In the song Attention by Charlie Puth, in the bridge the singer does something that could be heard as an error., However, in the songs I choose to find the errors doesn't necessarily mean it is an error, it could be intentional or naturally part of the singers voice. Therefore, I am giving my approach on what I would do differently. In the bridge, the singers' voice tends to break when he extends his falsetto. This could've happened because he might of lost his breath and didn't use the right technique which could've caused his voice to break. Nontheless, since the song is about heartbreak, the loss of breath or control in his falsetto could be used to represent the emotion of heartbreak. If I was singing my version of this, I would make sure that my voice wouldn't break by supporting my diaphragm and take a longer breath so I wouldn't go off pitch and my voice wouldn't break.


In the song Starboy by The Weeknd, when he performs this live, he tends to have a voice break which he manages to recover straight away. This is heard in the second verse, he covers it up by doing a minimal vocal riff and uses his vibrato to make it sound more natural and make it sound like it wasn't a mistake. This is a very good way of covering up a mistake, this includes continuing the phrase by doing a vocal riff or even using a vibrato to make it seem natural.






In the song There's nothing holding me back by Shawn Mendes, there are a few things that we could consider mistakes. When he goes into the pre chorus, his voice tends to go a bit pitchy and his voice has this rasp which sounds more as if his voice is tired than intended. When your voice is tired it makes it harder for a singer to stay in tune because it is harder to support the vocals and mot of the time its seems like the vocals are controlling the singer instead of the singer controlling the vocals, which can be seen in this case. Also, he seems to not have the control of his breathing in the pre chorus which makes it very hard for his voice to sound good. It sounds like he is struggling rather than the rasp and voice cracks being intentional. If I was singing this song I would make sure to rest my voice and get enough sleep because not enough rest and sleep can cause the vocals to sound tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment