Friday 13 October 2017

Composing Task 1

Remix of come together by The Beatles

When remixing Come together by The Beatles, I changed the style of the drums to a more electronic kit which makes the song sound more relevant and modern which might influence the younger audience as well as the older audience. I also made the drum kit more complex, this involved increasing the hits on the Hi Hat and the snare drum to create more variation. The effect this has on the listener is that it doesn't create any type of boredom or doesn't make the song sound too simple. This also creates groove and funk.

In terms of structure, on the build up to the third verse, I made the break 8 bars instead of 4. I chose to do this because I wanted the build up to the second verse be more intense and joyful at the same time, I managed to do this by adding a complex drum beat in the last 4 bars which creates a lot of variation in the track. To make the track sound more funky and edgy, I made the bass a bit louder and added compression to it, this has a great effect on the listener as the funkiness makes the listener want to move and dance which evidently causes pleasure.

Also, with the bass scale I changed the melody of the notes from an F to a G to create a difference in melody. However, I chose to change it only on a particular part of the song which is on the hook so it still follows the regular root scale in the first half of the song.


Original Composition

When making my original composition, I wanted the song to somehow relate to the Thriller Album by Michael Jackson, therefore, I chose to use similar chords and drum beat to make the song sound similar but at the same different from Billie Jean. I used the chords Dm, Em, F and G using the french horns which three of the chords are used in Billie Jean. However, in order to make the song differentiate from Billie Jean, I used the chord G to change the melody within the song. The use of the french horns reminds the listener more of a melodic style as it could bring them back to their past or childhood music as these horns create an impression of 80's music. Also, the chord F isn't played in the style of legato like the rest of the chords are, I specifically played the chords twice in which it sounds more like a staccato feature in the song. This use of staccato (also a use of syncopation) makes the listener surprised in way as it is unexpected but also creates movement.
In the beginning of making the track, I wanted to add a rock guitar to make the track vary in terms of instruments and styles. I had deleted it as I thought it wasn't a great idea at the time, however, I recently added a simple rock guitar melody in the song so the song doesn't sound too soft or too clean. The chords I have used used are on the beat except for the third chord, this is quiet effective as it is a use of syncopation and creates variation.

In the song, I also used a harmony using a trumpet which starts off with a low harmony coming together with five different harmonies to make the song sound fuller and create suspense on the build up through the song. In the first half of the song, I used a very simple bass melody which repeats itself until the "chorus" of the song, the effect repetition has on the listener is that the sound could become exhausting for somehow boring for them, therefore, in the second half of the song, I used a different type of bass melody which sound more staccato and involves more complex movement between notes. By doing this, it shows dynamic and most certainly creates more edginess and funk in the bass. In addition, instead of following a particular melody-note pattern in the bass, I also changed the note of the bass in some parts of the melody so it doesn't repeat itself too much through out the track. This shows more variation through out the track and makes the track enjoyable to listen to.

I also used the velocity tool when it came to the drum kit, I specifically made the kick drum change in velocity on specific parts of the song as it has a big impact on the groove and feel of the song. This also avoids the song from being tedious.

The song follows the chords: Dm, Em, F and G, when the eight bars finish I added a Dm7, Em7, Fmaj7 and a G7. By doing this, it makes the chords more complex and makes the chords more richer and fuller.


No comments:

Post a Comment